曾明哲 Mitchell M. Tseng
- 研究 & 教學
Before Professor Tseng returned to Taiwan and started the International School of Technology and Management at Feng Chia University, he was the Founding Head and Chair Professor of Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). At HKUST, his track records also include several academic positions, including Director of Advanced Manufacturing Institute, Associate Vice-President for Research and Innovation and many others.
Professor Tseng began his career in developing key enabling manufacturing technologies for computer industry, some of which, including the diamond machining for polygons in laser printers, are still widely used. He has wide range of industrial experiences in Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) and Xerox Corp for two decades with different senior executive and Chief Engineering positions. Throughout his career, he has been working closely with industry with research projects to upgrade product design and manufacturing capabilities.
Professor Tseng also had held faculty positions in Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Illinois–Urbana Champaign, and MIT–Zaragoza International Logistics Program. He also has several honorary professorships including Nanyang Professor from Nanyang Technology University, Nanshan Professor of Design from China Academy of Arts, Honorary Professor of Technical University Munich and several others. He has published more than 300 papers on Manufacturing Technology, Customization, Technology Management and Production Systems.
He is a Fellow of the International Academy of Production Engineering (CIRP), of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and of Hong Kong Academy of Engineering Sciences
- Ph.D. Industrial Engineering from Purdue University 1975
- M.S. Industrial Engineering from Purdue University 1973
- B.S. National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan 1970
- Chair Professor, Feng Chia University
- Visiting Professor, Media Lab, MIT, U.S.A.
- Founding Head, Industrial Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
- Associate Vice President, Research and Innovation, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
- Chair Professor, Industrial Engineering and Logistics Management, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
- Director, Advanced Manufacturing Institute, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Professor Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Honorary Adjunct Professor, Technical University of Munich (TU Munich)
- Nayang professor, Nanyang Technology University of Singapore
- Nanshan Professor, Design, at China Academy of Arts, Hangzhou, China
- Adjunct Professor, Business at MIT-Zaragoza Logistics Program
- TUM Distinguished Affiliated Professor, Institute of Advanced Studies, Technical University of Munich, 2011 – date
- Fellow, International Academy for Production Engineering Research (CIRP) elected 1999 – date
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME
- Fellow and Council Member, Hong Kong Academy of Engineering Science
- Outstanding Industrial Engineer, Purdue University commemorate 50th Anniversary of Industrial Engineering Department, 2005
- Cover Story of Machinery & Materials Journal, “ Pushing forward the Mass Customization and Personalization” Vol.376, Jan 2006
- The Franz Edelman Finalist Award, Institute of Operation Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS), 2004 for outstanding work performed on Hong Kong International Terminals Gains Elastic Capacity Using a Data-Intensive Decision-Support System, 2004
- Distinguished International Research Fellowship, College of Engineering, University of Calgary, Canada, 2004
- LEAD Award by CASA/ Society of Manufacturing Engineering, USA, 2001. in recognition of leadership and excellence in developing enterprise wide integrated manufacturing. The award was given to the Advanced Manufacturing Institute where I have been serving as the Founding Director
- Fellow, Hong Kong Institution of Engineers 1995
- Digital Information System Achievement Award, 1989
- Innovative AI Applications in the Industry, American Association of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 1988
- David Ross Fellowship, Purdue University, 1973-1975
- 1990-1993 US Area Engineering Manager, Digital Services, DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION
Responsible for the Engineering function and managing over 1700 engineers in Systems Integration Business for DEC - US Area. The Digital Service USA is a multi-billion business includes developing and implementing Customized Products and Systems, Application Projects, and Systems Integration Programs to serve a wide spectrum of Information Technology customers from banking, transportation, utility, manufacturing, health care, to financial services.
- 1986-1990 Group Manager, Applied Intelligent Systems Group, DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION
Responsible for developing and implementing Artificial Intelligence applications and products. Operation responsibility managing more than 150 software engineers in many locations scattered worldwide. The well-known R1 (also known as XCON) systems, a textbook classic example in the Information Technology is used to deliver one of a kind product for individual customers.
- 1982-1985 Senior Manager, DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION. Computer Integrated Manufacturing Technology, Storage Systems Group
By applying Computer Integrated Technology to concurrent engineering and manufacturing, Digital is able to significantly reduce time to market and improve quality to meet the competition in the Strategy industry and build a profitable business with the CIM Technology. Digital is well recognized as a leader in CIM Technology in the late 80’s and early 90’s.
- 1977-1982 Area Manager, Manufacturing Technology, XEROX CORPORATION. Joseph C, Wilson Center for Technology, Webster, New York
Developed high volume manufacturing processes for critical components of new office equipment products. Several processes that I developed for laser scanners, high speed copying machines, optical disk storage, laser printers, and other computer peripherals are still widely used in industry today.
- EMH Lin, MM Tseng (2018), “Tolerances of Customers’ Requirements: A Review of Current Researches”, Procedia CIRP, 72: 1208-1213.
- Toshiya Kaihara, Nariaki Nishino, Kanji Ueda, Mitchell Tseng, József Váncza, Paul Schönsleben, Roberto Teti, Takeshi Takenaka (2018) “Value creation in production: Reconsideration from interdisciplinary approaches”, CIRP Annals.
- Markus J Thannhuber, Andy Bruntsch, Mitchell M Tseng (2017, Jan). Knowledge management: managing organizational intelligence and knowledge in autopoietic process management systems–ten years into industrial application. Procedia CIRP, 63, 384-389.
- W Wang, Y Wang, DY Mo, MM Tseng (2017, Jan). Managing component reuse in remanufacturing under product diffusion dynamics. International Journal of Production Economics, Volume 183, Part B, Pages 551–560.
- Daniel Y. Mo, Mitchell M. Tseng,Yue Wang (2016, Aug). Mass Customizing Spare Parts Support Services Based on Response Time With Inventory Pooling Strategies. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 63(3), 1-11.
- Andy Bruntscha, Mitchell M. Tseng (2016, Jan). An Approach for Process Control of Responsive Service Processes. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology , Volume 65, Issue 1, 2016, Pages 459–462.
- Andreas M. Radke and Mitchell M. Tseng (2015, Aug). Design Considerations for Building Distributed Supply Chain Management Systems Based on Cloud Computing. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 137(4), 040906(11 pages).
- Wang, Y. and M. M. Tseng (2015, Jun). A Naïve Bayes approach to Map Customer Requirements to Product Variants. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 26(3): 501-509.
- Guohua Tang, Mitchell M Tseng (2015, May). Incorporating customer indifference into the design of flexible options for customized products. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Volume 64, Issue 1, Pages 427–430.
- Hongyan Dai, Mitchell M Tseng, Paul H Zipkin (2015, Jan). Design of traceability systems for product recall. International Journal of Production Research, 53(2), 511-531.
- Yue Wang, Mitchell Tseng (2014, May). Attribute selection for product configurator design based on Gini index. International Journal of Production Research, Pages 6136-6145.
- Yue Wang, Mitchell Tseng (2014, Apr). Incorporating tolerances of customers’ requirements for customized products. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Volume 63, Issue 1, Pages 129–132.
- Wang, Y. and Tseng M.M. (2014, Feb). Identifying Emerging Customer Requirements in Early Design Stage by Applying Bayes Factor Based Sequential Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Volume 61, Issue 1, p.129-137.
- DY Mo, MM Tseng, RK Cheung. (2014). Design of inventory pools in spare part support operation systems. International Journal of Systems Science, 45 (6): 1296-1305.
- H ElMaraghy, G Schuh, W ElMaraghy, F Piller, P Schönsleben, M Tseng, A Bernard (2013, Dec). Product variety management. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Volume 62, Issue 2, 2013, Pages 629–652.
- Yue Wang, Mitchell M Tseng (2013, Mar). Identifying Emerging Customer Requirements in an Early Design Stage by Applying Bayes Factor-Based Sequential Analysis. Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on, Vol(61), Issue 1, 129 - 137.
- Daniel Y Mo, Mitchell M Tseng, Raymond K Cheung (2013, Jan). Design of inventory pools in spare part support operation systems. International Journal of Systems Science, Pages 1296-1305.
- C Wang, MM Tseng (2013). Mass customization and footwear. The Science of Footwear, pp. 1-31.
- CJ Su, M Tseng (2013). Design knowledge representation, retrieval and delivery for co-operative. Cooperative Knowledge Processing for Engineering Design, Vol. 5, pp. 119.
- Chou, H. H., Y. Wang and C. C. Chieng and Tseng, M. M. (2013). Dynamic Service Product Family for Mass Service Customization. International Journal of Innovative Research, Vol. 2, Issue 11, November 2013.
- ElMaraghy, H., Schuh H, ElMaraghy W, Piller F, Schönsleben P, Tseng M.M. and Bernard A (2013). Product variety management. CIRP Annals- Manufacturing Technology, Volume 62, Issue 2, pp 629-652.
- Jiao R. and Tseng M.M (2013). On equilibrium solutions to joint optimization problems in engineering design. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Volume 62, Issue 1, pp 155-158.
- Radke, A.M., Tolio, T., Tseng M.M. and Urgo M. (2013). A risk managementbased evaluation of inventory allocations for make-to-order production. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, Volume 62, Issue 1, pp 459-462.
- Wang, Y. and M. M. Tseng (2013). Gini Index Based Attribute Selection for Product Configurator Design. International Journal of Production Research, 52(20): 6136-6145.
- Wang, Y. and Tseng, M. M (2013). Customized products recommendation based on probabilistic relevance model. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, pp. 1-10.
A complete publication list can be found in Google Scholar.
Teaching at ISTM in Fall 2018/Spring 2019
- Innovation Project (1) (FCU-Purdue Program Year 1)
Design and Manufacturing, Manufacturing Technology, Production Systems, Innovation Management, and Mass Customization
Courses Taught in Feng Chia University
- Innovation Projects
Courses Taught in Hong Kong University of Science Technology (HKUST), University of Illinois (UIUC), Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Stanford University
- Introduction to Engineering
- Product Design
- Manufacturing Technology
- Business Process Engineering
- Project Management